Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 18, 2013

It was 1980 something



                                                                      
When I started fly fishing had no idea what I was doing ‘’seriously ‘’ I was in the dark. But wanted to learn. So Reading books and trying to get as much information as I could. Not having a whole lot of money to just go out and find a guide or paying someone to teach me. I had decided to tech myself... You know, how hard it could possibly be, “right “wrong!  I though fishing was fishing. Well I come to learn that this Fly fishing was a whole new world and I was stepping way out of my zone. But I was egger to learn and ready to try.

 They first book that I picked up I think was,the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide or something along that line. Did I mention that I did not like to read back then . Back then I thought  if it didn’t have picture’s it wasn’t worth reading.. As I started to read I realized there was a lot of thing in here that did not make any since to me.
 Like tapered  leader, what was tapered leader ??? Leader is leading right.. NOT.  Tippet?? What do they mean by tippet??  What’s a nymph? No the other one. HEY!! Let’s get back to the story.. Wow there was a lot to learn and a lot of things to comprehend.  Continued to reading the book and going to the only sporting goods store I had back then. (Allied and Sunset Sports.) 

To ask and get as much information as I could (without it costing me) the spring of 1989 I had saved enough money to buy me my first ever fly rod. I didn't know what to look for in a rod as far as weight, action, Length.  Didn't know any of this.  what was this thing  5 weight rod or 5-6 weight so again talking to the clerks and reading books I chose a 5 weight  9ft rod.. Learning as I go..



 Most people would say I was naïve... NOPE!! just having a blond moment… anyway back to the story as I was buying the rod and the real I was looking at the fly line. Now at this point I had not read anything about fly line and backing. While the clerk was explaining these things to me a BIG light flipped on and now it was all making sense the way he was explaining and in the books that I was reading it all started making sense.

                                                                   "It was 1980 something"
                                                           
 I finished getting all my gear and realized I had no place to put these things too much stuff to put in my pocket. Well maybe a fanny pack would work for now. The night before I was to go fishing I had pulled everything out to make sure I had everything for my first trip to that Provo River trying to find something to put my gear in I had a surprise lying on the couch. It was a fly vest; my wife had bought it without me knowing. WOW thanks honey... after filling up my vest and packing a lunch I was ready.

The day of the trip we loaded the truck and off we went. We drove the 45 minute drive to the river. Getting things ready for the first day of Fly Fishing the river.  Excited and overwhelmed to try this new type of fishing was a cool felling. Having the new gear and headed to the river I was ready to give it a good shot at this new sport (well new to me).




 As I approached the Provo river for the first time with a fly rod in my hand.  As I was standing near the water tying to look the part of a fly fisherman. ‘’ I was all but that.’’  Trying to fish with this new pole and present the fly like I had read in the book was harder than I thought.  Trying different things and still with no luck I beginning to wonder if I would ever would catch a fish or become a Fly fisherman.

4 hours later and several  knots to untie and nothing to count for (no fish) a gentleman came up and asked if he could fish in the spot  next to me and I said yes since I wasn’t catching anything maybe he could. Watching him flip his line out and watching his technique. I still didn’t know what I was doing wrong. (In my mind I thought I was doing everything that I just witness)    4 minutes later he was fight a fish that I had been trying to Catch.

                                                              "It was 1980 something"

  I said nothing to him and then caught and other and then another. Finally I had to speak up and ask him what I was doing wrong. He then watch me has I flipped my line out and let it drift down the river. he told me that if he showed me some of the thing I need to do on Fly fishing  that for payment  I  had to promise him that I would share that with every person the same thing he taught me. And to share the passion and the love for the sport.

 After a good firm hand shake he began to show me a couple of things that I needed to adjust and I did. As he was standing there teaching me a few things I started to catch fish. After a few hours fishing with the gentleman he decided to move on to a different spot and again we shock hands and parted ways. I said thank you again never to see this man again. The rest of the day was a fish catching haven.

With time at my side and Fly fishing when I can, still learning different technique and passing my knowledge onto others. Teaching my boys at an early age and other friends and family members, just make me a better person.



With 24 years of fly fishing behind me, I still share the same information that gentleman shared with me and what have learned over the years Too anyone that wants to learn.  I will never stop showing others what I have learned.  It was 1980 something.  Well it was 1989  a year I will never forget.
to this day that fly rod is still being used by my oldest son.


 “Time spent fishing cannot be deducted for a man’s life”








No comments: